[Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE OF SOMETHING

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Nov 28 13:03:33 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM, lojmIt tI'wI'nuv
<lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's as if we took some arbitrary person from this list -- someone with less
> skill with the language than many of us -- and told him to make this stuff
> up.

It's not quite THAT bad. Unfortunately, I think this is a case where
we might legitimately say Marc Okrand has forgotten more about Klingon
grammar than "some arbitrary person" knows.

> ...he sloppily throws new canon at them that is riddled with errors,...

Again, it's not quite THAT bad. In the case of the TalkNow! CD, he
acted as an expert editor working with someone else, and we can
identify reasons for specific errors. For the paq'batlh text, he had a
small army of the most experienced Klingonists poring over the pages,
pointing out spots that needed attention, and asking for clarification
when appropriate.

I will be treating any new information with the mindset that Marc
Okrand is clearly authoritative, but he is not infallible. After all,
he's only human. ;-)

-- ghunchu'wI'