[Tlhingan-hol] -qH- vs. -Q-

Agnieszka Solska agnpau1 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 10:17:23 PST 2011

Philip:

>I think one could still make a distinction
>between a sequence of plosive + fricative on the one hand, and
>affricate on the other hand. (Though for such a distinction to be
>phonemic, i.e. to be able to cause a difference in meaning, is rare,
>to my knowledge. A notable counterexample is Polish, which
>distinguishes, for example, between _czy_ [t_s`1 = t???] "whether",
>with affricate, and _trzy_ [ts`1 = t??] "three", with stop+fricative.
>Ask 'ISqu' to pronounce the pair for you when you meet her.)

lugh Philip. nIbbe' "czy" "trzy" je 'ach rurqu'chuq. motlh novpu' mISmoH.

"czy" jatlhmeH [chI] jatlhlu'.
"trzy" jatlhmeH [tSI] jatlhlu'.

neHchugh vay' maghomDI' mu'meyvam vIjatlhlaH.

>do you pronounce {DaqHom} and {DaQom} differently? (Ignoring
>the stress difference.)

I believe I do (though I could be mistaken in my beliefs:) )

- I make an abrupt release after [q] before moving on to produce [H]
  in [Q] the only release I make comes after [Q] and it is relatively slow

- I try to make my [q] uvular and my [H] velar (whether I succeed is a different story)

- In the closed syllable {Daq} my [a] is shorter than in the open syllable {Da}.

'ISqu'