[Tlhingan-hol] -qH- vs. -Q-

Lieven Litaer lieven.litaer at web.de
Sun Nov 27 02:34:09 PST 2011

ja' PhIlip:

A very long text for a short question. After all, I think this is a
topic that is much easier spoken about than written.

> do you pronounce {DaqHom} and {DaQom} differently? (Ignoring
> the stress difference.) If not, do you think you should?

Yes, I do make a difference here, but probably only when I pay attention
to it. I make a very short break after the Daq, so you hear a slight
"Daq-uh" or "Daqe" before I continue with the Hom.

In the other word, the letter a is a bit longer, so you hear me say
Daaa, followed by the Qom.

But really, I'm talking about milliseconds.

As most of the cases, context will make clear what is meant. In English
and also German, many words sound the same, but you only misunderstand
them if you want to tease somebody: Did you just say Museum of fart? :-)

Lieven.