[Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: VERBS USED AS NOUNS

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 15:34:08 PST 2011

'ISqu':

> Clear cases:
>
> {tuj} – n. heat
>
>    Their anger so hot,
>      It could melt the rock
>    tujqu'choHmo' QeHchaj
>      nagh tetlaH tujvam
>    (pp 76-77)

This isn't a new word.  It's on TKD p. 110/136. :-)

> {puj} – n. weakness
>
>    United to do battle together!
>    Against fear and against weakness!
>    SuvvIpghach puj je
>    HarghmeH yeq chaH
>    (pp 118-119)

The entire line reads:
    nItebHa' molor HI''a'
        SuvvIpghach puj je
        HarghmeH yeq chaH

I read {puj} as an adjective here when I first read it {SuvvIpghach puj}
"weak fear of fighting", and read the {je} as connecting that and {molor
HI''a'}.  It's not an impossible reading, though {SuvvIpghach puj} is a
very confusing term.  You're probably right that {puj} is a noun here.

{ghom} – n. assembly

>    SIqral bIQtIq ghom
>    Assembly at the River Skral
>    (pp 140-141, 202-203)
>
>     The word cannot be a verb because then the line would mean
>    "They meet the River Skral", which doesn't make sense in the
>    light of what happens in the book.

Again, {ghom} was already known as a noun.   It's given as "group, party"
in TKD p. 86, 135 and as "band, group, part" in KGT p. 214.  "Assembly" is
just another English translation of the same concept.

> All of these are titles of specific cantos with the exception of {ngaS},
> which can also be considered as a type of heading naming a section in a
> book.

The sections of the book are called {paq'yav}, {paq'raD}, and {paq'QIH}.
 {yav} and {QIH} exist as nouns, but {raD} is a verb only (AFAIK).  But
perhaps book or chapter titles do not follow normal grammatical rules.