[Tlhingan-hol] learnings from Saarbrücken qepHom'a'

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:39:52 PST 2011

> ja' De'vID:
>
>> I saw several new words (words new to me; they may already be known to
>> others):
>> <'IvtIH>
>> <rajma'>
>> <'eQway>
>> <cha'neH>

Lieven:

> Where did you see those? Were they written by MO? Were they printed? Or
> just written on table among a lot of weird drawings? pay attention to those
> latter, many of our students like to "invent" funny klingon words :-)

Qov had actually used <'IvtIH> in her story at some point.  The sentence
was <'IvtIHDu'Daj 'uch Mahoun>, so I inferred it was a body part.
ghunchu'wI' appeared to know it, so I wrote it down as a new word.  This
was before the qepHom.

At the qepHom, I happened to talk to 'ISqu' about this word, and she showed
me a list of five words she'd typed out from a previous qep'a', under the
title <porgh 'ay'>: the above four plus <lev> which I already had in my own
dictionary.  All five words were parts of the body.  She also had
definitions.  However, I didn't want to post the definitions I copied from
her, since our definitions of <lev> differed slightly: my notes say "n.
hard palate, roof of mouth (source: qep'a' 12)", and her definition simply
said "n. palate".  So she may have abbreviated her definitions, or perhaps
my source had elaborated it (link: http://klingon.livejournal.com/26647.html,
from http://www.kli.org/tlh/newwords.html).

If someone else has seen the above four words before, please post the
definitions you have.  Otherwise, I'll post the ones I copied from her in a
little bit.