[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - First Words

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Fri Nov 4 13:22:33 PDT 2011

On 11/4/2011 4:05 PM, Michael Roney, Jr. PKT wrote:

> Good morning - maj po
> Good afternoon - maj pov
> Good evening - maj choS

*shudder* *wince* *cringe*

> aspirin - nuch Hergh

This is a great one.

> bicycle - qam Do Duj
> car - puH Duj
> bus - lupwI'
> airplane - muD Duj
> train - lupwI' mIr
> ship - bIQ Duj

Clearly, Klingons don't have words for these things (except "bus"), so
we finally have dispensation to use {Duj} for "vehicle." Or at least,
"thing that isn't a spaceship but goes from place to place."

> shower - bIQ ghaywI' pa'

I've been wondering what {ghay} means. I'm thinking "spray."

> I'm disappointed with "hello" being {nuqneH}.
> Especially since I run the program in Hawaiian and I see "Aloha - nuqneH".
> And {nuqneH} doesn't even come close to capturing the spirit of Aloha.
>
> I'd rather a new phrase like we got for "goodbye".
> Nothing too special, just something else.

Bleah! No thanks. Imagine you're a Klingon showing the Eurotalk people
the right words for these things.

Eurotalk: "How do you say 'hello'?"
Klingon: "What does 'hello' mean?"
Eurotalk: "It's what you say to greet someone."
Klingon: "You don't say a phrase; you just get down to business."
Eurotalk: "But we need a word here for the program."
Klingon: "Sometimes if the business doesn't start right away one Klingon
might say, {nuqneH}."
Eurotalk: "Is that 'hello'?"
Klingon: "It means 'whaddya want?'"
Eurotalk: "It's a greeting?"
Klingon: "Yeah, kinda."
Eurotalk: "Close enough. We'll use it for 'hello.'"

Why do we want to ruin decades of telling people there's no word for
"hello" by inventing a word for "hello"?

http://www.trimboli.name/