[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Shopping

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Nov 2 12:48:04 PDT 2011

I had the most fun with this section when I received the CD. It was
so exciting clicking on each new thing. I would guess what it would
be called, then click. I was going to ration them out longer, but my
husband was having fun watching me so we did them all at once.

>postcard - QIn 'echletHom

We can make up a wonderful story about a hard little brigadier who
carries short messages.

>sunglasses - mIn QanwI' nguv

I guessed mIn QanwI'

>stamp - HIjmeH chaw'
>shirt - yIvbeH
>tie - mong Ha'quj

I guessed it.

>pants - yopwaH
>jacket - wep
>skirt - paH bID

I very much like it.

>dress - paH
>pen - ghItlhwI'
>soap - Say'moHwI' tlhagh

I love it.

>shoes - waqmey
>T-Shirt - yIvbeH SeQHa'

Funny!

>shorts - yopwaH bID

guessed it based on paH bID

>pencil - ghojmoH ghItlhwI'

Interesting perspective of how Marc views pencils.

>scissors - cha''etlh pe'wI'

I didn't guess this one but should have.

>belt - qogh

I wonder if Marc had any idea how annoying it was going to be to have
these two things share a word, I was going to have Mahoun buy a Separ
earring, but the annoyance of trying to make sure it was understood
that it wasn't a fancy belt buckle just put me off.

>razor - rol taj

I guessed pob taj and then laughed at rol taj, because well, I'm
never going to need a rol taj.  (petamchoH! be'Daq pob 'oHtaH!)

>lipstick - wuS rItlh naQ

Dochvam vIlo'

>newspaper - De' chu' ghItlh

And seeing as there is no "paper" explicitly in the name, I think we
can safely use it for any news document, with perhaps De' chu'
ghItlhHom for an article.

>umbrella - SIS yoD

guessed it!

>book - paq
>matches - qul naQmey

Guessed it!

>light bulb - wovmoHwI' moQ

Guessed it!

>toothpaste - Ho'Du' Say'moHwI' tlhagh

Didn't guess it, but should have.

>toothbrush - Ho' teywI'

Have always called it Ho' Say'moHwI'. Explains something about the
Klingon approach to toothbrushing. Note also that it's Ho'Du'
Say'moHwI' tlhagh and Ho' teywI'  (plural/singular)

>comb - jIb Ho'Du'

This makes me sad because I like to have the extra clarity of using
-mey when using a body part name to describe a non body part and it
looks like I'm wrong.

>hairbrush - jIb yachwI'

I've called it a jIb HabmoHwI'. I think you now know all you need to
about my approach to personal grooming.

>towel - QaDmoHwI' DIr

I have just called it a QaDmoHwI'

>compact disc - De' jengva'

Very good name.

>clock - tlhaq
>flashlight - 'ul Sech

We've used that for a long time.  Some Americans may not know that
"electric torch" is what it's called in England and some of her colonies.

>teddy bear - mIl'oD ngeb

I had ngebbogh mIl'oD tun

>cassette - wab qoSta' 'aplo'

I had no guess and nothing but open mouthed astonishment at the least
useful word in the list engendering two new Klingon words. Oh Marc,
what is the word for punchcard? cuniform writing? I guess we already
have stone tablet.

>ball - QujmeH moQ

No surprises.

>camera - mIllogh qonwI'

maj.

>radio - wab HevwI'

Interesting that it is wab and not chaDvay'

>television - HaSta jIH

That's weird.  HaSta and jIH sort of mean the same thing.

>saucepan - Se'tu'

Damn, Klingon is just like English for me now: multiple words for
"cooking vessel" and I have no idea which one is which or why. I call
them all saucepans, and when the recipe says to use a dutch oven, or
a frying pan or a stockpot or whatever, I just put the food in one
that is big enough and cook it.

>iron - Sut HabmoHwI'

I had Sut beQmoHwI'

>suntan lotion - DIr qanwI' taS

I had what did I come up with when I was looking for it at
qep'a'?  DIrvaD woj botmeH taS? Anyone remember?

>film - mIllogh qonwI' qoSta'

This list covers time travel too.

>paper - nav
>batteries - 'ul 'aplo'mey

Good name.

I really like these lists because they pretty much confirm that our
instincts are correct. I'm sure a Klingon would understand me asking
for a pob taj, that is if he understood the concept of shaving body
hair, but they would do it in at least a surgical context, and their
women look pretty smooth.