[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 05:19:38 PST 2011

'anan naHQun:
> bread - tIr ngogh
> cheese - nIm wIb ngogh

Do people agree that {nIm wIb} is the word for "cheese" (the substance
or ingredient) and that {nIm wIb ngogh} refers to a physical block or
lump of cheese?  Would a slice of cheese then be a {nIm wIb ngoghHom}?
 What about melted cheese?  (There are like a billion kinds of cheese
with different names here in Switzerland where I'm living.)

"cheesebread" leghDI' tlhIngan, chay' pong?

{tIr ngogh nIm wIb ngogh je} sounds to me like a cheese sandwich
(i.e., a block of cheese between two slices of bread).  Maybe {tIr nIm
wIb je ngogh} would be cheesebread (that is, there is one {ngogh} and
it's both {tIr} and {nIm wIb}).

Then "garlic bread" would be {tIr gharlIq 'oQqar je ngogh}.

And "garlic cheesebread"...?  :-)