[Tlhingan-hol] beings capable of speech

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 02:28:51 PST 2011

De'vID:
>> But what about a body part a piece of talking furniture has,
>> which isn't exactly analogous to a humanoid (klingonoid?) body part.
>> Say, a {raS}'s {'aqroS}.

QeS 'utlh:
> I actually think {'aqroS} is a bit different. To me anything can have an
> {'aqroS}, even humans; I'd be happy to say {'aqroSwIjDaq ba'taH mIl'oD} "a
> sabre bear is sitting on top of me". It's an area of your body, but not a
> discrete body part as such. So I think you could talk about {'aqroSmey},
> but not {'aqroSDu'}.

It's on occasions like this that I really wish I had HolQeD in
electronic form.  {'aqroS} comes from HQ8.3, and my notes say that it
refers to the underside of a table, or more generally the interior
underside of the top of something.  A table {'aqroS} is the back face
of its top (or {yor}).

I would not understand {'aqroSwIjDaq ba'taH mIl'oD} at all.  Well,
actually, I would: it sounds like the sabre bear has ripped you apart
and is sitting on the underside of your torso or something.  Unless
I'm misunderstanding something, I can't imagine what a Human's or
Klingon's {'aqroS} might be.

Maybe that was another bad example.  Let's say you have a talking
dresser drawer or closet, would its doors be {lojmItmey} or
{lojmItDu'}?