[Tlhingan-hol] Festivus?

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:50:48 PST 2011

ghItlhpu' SoqratIS, jatlh:
> Your gonna get mail.
> seqrem and other long time Hol-ers might respond with "How do you say
> Kangaroo in ...."

qaStaHvIS DIS law' tlhIngan Hol jatlhtaH 'anan naHQun. Dojbej laHDaj.
"long time Hol-er" ghaHchu' 'e' vIlajqangqu' jIH.

('ej pong Dajatlhpu'bogh'e', {Seqram} 'oH. "seqrem" 'oHbe'.)

jang 'anan naHQun, jatlh:
> Where I was going:
> I've already wished everyone a happy *weQlop.
> I don't want to call today *veStIvuS, I want to call it something in
> Klingon.

I do have issues with that. As a non-watcher of Seinfeld, I didn't know
what Festivus meant in English until I Googled it. Just my opinion here,
but if I were doing it I'd say {veStIvuS lop} or {veStIvuS yupma'}, just
as one would call a tomato {tomat naH} or garlic {gharlIq 'oQqar}. Like
names for many other Earth cultural festivals, I think "Festivus" is far
too culturally laden to provide it with a good brief Klingon translation.
Christmas is the same: the fact that we have an established though non-
canonical transliteration of {QISmaS} lets us sidestep the issue, but I
believe there's too much cultural baggage in the word to give a good
one- or two-word translation (as distinct from a longer description).

Whatever problems we may have with Eurotalk, it has at least given us
a framework for how Klingons would talk about explicitly non-Klingon
things. {veStIvuS yupma'} fits that mould perfectly.

QeS 'utlh