[Tlhingan-hol] The Dhammapada: A Klingon Translation, verses 1-2

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 21 08:18:45 PST 2011

Michael Everson:
>> vemqu'wI'?

De'vID:

> I had earlier suggested {vemta'wI'} for <buddha> (and {vemchu'ta'wI'}
> for <samma sambuddha>).  We can throw some {qu'}s in there.

Instead of trying for a hyper-correct, overly-long translation of *Buddha*, you could go another way and just use his name:  *{ghotam}, *{gho'tam}, *{ghawtam}, etc.

A good overview for the non-Buddhists on the list are the Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhammapada
The title, Dhammapada, is a compound term composed of dhamma and pada, each word having a number of denotations and connotations. Generally, dhamma can refer to the Buddha's "doctrine" or an "eternal truth" or "righteousness" or all "phenomena"; and, at its root, pada means "foot" and thus by extension, especially in this context, means either "path" or "verse" (cf. "prosodic foot") or both. English translations of this text's title have used various combinations of these and related words.

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha
Siddhārtha Gautama (... Pali: Siddhattha Gotama) was a spiritual teacher from the Indian subcontinent, on whose teachings Buddhism was founded. In most Buddhist traditions, he is regarded as the Supreme Buddha (P. sammāsambuddha, S. samyaksaṃbuddha) of our age, "Buddha" meaning "awakened one" or "the enlightened one." Siddhārtha Gautama may also be referred to as Gautama Buddha or as Śākyamuni ("Sage of the Śākyas").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons