[Tlhingan-hol] The Dhammapada: A Klingon Translation, verses 1-2

Josh Badgley joshbadgley at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 05:25:30 PST 2011

Qov-

I usually try to read a few passages from the English version as part of my own practice. I am not a fluent Pali reader so I can't really sit down with the text and read it as well as I could say the English or even Klingon version.   I am translating from the original Pali, and also consulting some of the English versions. I am able to scan the Pali lines and try to come up with the closest Klingon equivalents.  I like to look at the English versions for inspiration in writing my own English translations.  Does that make sense? :) Maye not...

De'vID-
You read my mind! I was definitely thinking that ghob would be an appropriate term for Dhamma/Dharma.  There's the Dhamma, "the Buddha's teaching" (paQDI'norgh?), then there's dhamma in the sense of phenomena.  I already translated that "dhamma" as wanI' in the first two lines.

manopubbangama dhamma
wanI'mey nung yab

Then we have dhamma as the sense of what's morally righteous, what conforms with the super-mundane, world-transcending "law" or dhamma.  And I think ghob works great, mainly because of the way <<batlh ghob yIpab>> is explained in TKD.

Leaving Buddha untranslated would be cool, but I was thinking...if you read the into to the Klingon Tao Te Ching, the whole idea was that while Klingons don't necessarily agree with all of Laozi's thoughts, they still think it's important to understand humanity (the "enemy" or at least former "enemy").  Pali and Klingon are very different languages.  Pali is soft, beautiful, and almost perfect for composing long, flowing, philosophical texts.  Klingon is very to-the-point, so I think that calling and "Enlightened One" a jIvHa'wI' or "un-ignorant one" feels more Klingon, if that's possible.

-- jhb