[Tlhingan-hol] The Dhammapada: A Klingon Translation, verses 1-2

Josh Badgley joshbadgley at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:34:53 PST 2011

Awakened is only one meaning.  Buddha comes from the verb bujjhati which means "to be awake, to be enlightened, (acc.), to perceive, to know, recognise, understand" (PED).

In the Path of Purity it states "Or alternatively, he discovered (bujjhi) the four truths by himself and awakened
(bodhesi) others to them, thus and for other such reasons he is enlightened
(buddha). And in order to explain this meaning the whole passage in the Niddesa
beginning thus: 'He is the discoverer (bujjhitar) of the truths, thus he is
enlightened (buddha). He is the awakened (bodhetar) of the generation, thus he is
enlightened (buddha)'

I chose jIvHa'wI' because I liked the way it was defined in the Tao Te Ching.  It seemed to mesh nicely with the above definition of buddha

-- jhb