[Tlhingan-hol] The Dhammapada: A Klingon Translation, verses 1-2

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 20 12:16:37 PST 2011

Josh Badgley:
> are willing to do so.  [...] I wanted to thank 'ISqu' for
> her excellent edition of the Tao Te Ching, which I am
> reading right now and without which I would be hopelessly
> lost. I have nicked the term {jIvHa'wI'} from her and am
> using it for "Buddha".

"the enlightened (un-ignorant) one" -- I like that.

>                   Even though "Dhammapada" really means
> something like "Path of Dhamma", I am calling it "The
> Buddha's Path of Wisdom" or {jIvHa'wI' Sov'a' He}

Well, you've stumbled upon one of the hidden landmines right away WRT {He} "course, route".  Apparently Okrand told SuStel (?) at a {qep'a'} that {He} cannot be used in a metaphorical or spiritual connotation of "way" or "path," such as the Way of the Warrior or the Path of Wisdom.  Consequently, Okrand translated the title of _The Klingon Way_ as {tlhIngan tIgh} and he has used the inscription {tlhIngan tIgh DaHaDrup'a'?} on books and photos.  (FYI the original title of TKW was {tlhIngan ghobmey paq} "The Klingon Book of Virtues".)  I believe 'ISqu' had the same problem with her _Tao Te Ching, a Klingon Translation_ which she translated as {pIn'a' qan paQDI'norgh} "The Old Master's Teachings".

More travel-related metaphors are {ghoch} "destination", {jey} "itinerary", {lurgh} "direction", {qIgh} "shortcut", {pu'jIn} "map" -- but these may not work any better than {He}.

Other useful words include {ghob} "ethics, virtue", {nugh} "society (group of people with a shared culture)", {potlh} "consequential thing, something important", {qolqoS} "essence", {vIlle'} "follower, disciple, fan, admirer, minion", {vIt} "truth".

> "The Buddha's Path of Wisdom" or {jIvHa'wI' Sov'a' He}

Also, I'm not sure *{Sov'a'} "great/superior wisdom" isn't gilding the lilly.  {Sov} "knowledge" has been used for "wisdom" in Okrand's translation of a line from a "Frasier" episode:

  lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov rap, ngoQ rap
   je Danobpu'bogh.
  May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom,
   and purpose you have given mine. (Frasier)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

"Virtue is a relative term, Doctor."