[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hom

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 19 11:32:19 PST 2011

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, December 19, 2011
>
> Klingon word:   Hom
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     use the second toe

As used in canon:

  DungDaq Hom
  point upwards with the second toe. (HQ 10.2:11)

  jaghwI'Daq jIHom
  I use (my) second toe at my enemy
  (idiom: I claim my enemy is unworthy or weak) (HQ 10.2:11)

HQ 10.2:11:  The gesture itself is most likely to come up during ritualized martial arts combat (which, incidentally, is often a part of Klingon ballet).

Cf. {Hom} "weakling, runt, scrawny one, skinny one (slang)

KGT 152:  This word literally means {bone}, but its slang usage is no doubt influenced by the noun suffix {-Hom}, a diminutive that adds a meaning of smallness or lack of importance (compare {taj} ["knife"] and {tajHom} ["little knife", the extra small blade in the handle of a d'k tahg knife]). There are a number of standard counterparts to {Hom}, such as {pujwI'} (weakling), {langwI'} (one who is thin), and {runwI'} (one who is short).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons