[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 19 08:04:33 PST 2011

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, December 18, 2011
>
> Klingon word:   Hop
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     be remote, far

As used in canon:

  SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna'
   ghurmoH naQvam
  This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase
   the effective range for distance targeting. S14

{logh Hop} deep space:

  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut
   tengchaH. vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
  space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the
   exploration, intrigue and enterprise that mark the
   continuation of the human adventure into space... S99

MSN expert.forum 9/1997:  As for how to use {Sum} "be near, nearby"--that will require some more time with Maltz. {Do' Sum matlh.} I would think, however, that it would work the same way as {Hop} "be far".

Will Martin interviews Marc Okrand (HQ Dec. 1998: 9-10):

MO:  Using the verbs {Sum} and {Hop} involves this concept [of deixis].
WM:  So I could not say {raSvam vISum} to say, "I am near the table".
MO:  No. You'd just say {Sum raS}. The verb Sum implies that the speaker is the one the subject is near at the time of speaking.  {Hop jabwI'}. "The waiter is far from me right now."
WM:  Like if I wanted to say, You are near the table, could I say {SoHvaD Sum raS}?
MO:  No. You'd use {-Daq}: {SoHDaq Sum raS.} This throws the orientation away from the speaker (unmarked, unstated) and to the listener (marked, stated: "at you, where you are"). But you don't always need to state this overtly. Context is critical. For example: {qagh largh SuvwI' ghung. Sum qagh 'e' Sov.} "The hungry warrior smells the gagh. He/she knows the gagh is nearby." The only interpretation of this (absent other information) is that the warrior knows the gagh is near the warrior, not the warrior knows the gagh is near the speaker of the sentences. If context isn't clear, you can clarify:  Question: {Sum'a' raS?} "Is the table near (me)?" ("Am I near the table?")  Answer: {HIja'. Sum raS.} "Yes. The table is near (you)."  Answer: {ghobe'. jIHDaq Sum raS.} "No. The table is near me."
WM:   And could I say {maSumchuq}?
MO:  No. You'd just say {bISum} or {SuSum}. If you haven't, in the course of the conversation, set things up otherwise, it's assumed that the event being talked about is taking place where the speaker is. In fact, {jISum} alone probably would make no everyday sense to a Klingon. "I am near me." But it does have an idiomatic philosophical sense, something like "I'm in touch with my inner self" (but in a Klingon sort of way, of course).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons