[Tlhingan-hol] QangHom

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 00:12:12 PST 2011

Qov:
> > Interesting. It really looks here as though those that sit at the table
and
> > decide policy are all {tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'}. Leaders of the
Empire, as
> > it were. This will work for me, as I can then use DevwI' as a title, {vu
> > DevwI'}

Philip Newton:
> On the other hand, consider this from KGT (p. 53):
>
> Finally, a student may be described as a {mangHom} ("cadet"), but
> {mangHom} is not an official title. One should not say, for example,
> {qImlaq mangHom} ("Cadet K'mlak").
>
> So I'm not sure whether nouns can automatically be used as titles.

Especially a noun like {DevwI'} formed from a verb.  {vu DevwI'} looks to
me like "Foo's leader, Foo's guide", not "Leader Foo, Guide Foo".  Of
course, this is a problem with apposition in Klingon in general.

But why should the indicator of membership in the {yejquv} be a noun?  I
would not be surprised if it were a verb such as {quv}: {vu quv} "Honored
Foo", "Foo of the {yejquv}".  (Of course, "honored" is such an overused
concept in Klingon.)  Or, why should the councillor's relation to the
{yejquv} place the emphasis on the councillor rather than the council?
Perhaps Councillor Foo is referred to as {yejquv vu} "the High Council's
Foo, Foo of the High Council"

Qov:
> >> I tend to use {qup} "elder" for this (especially for "senator"); cp.
> >> {quprIp} "Council of Elders".  I don't know if {qup} refers to an
honored,
> >> traditional leader or just someone elderly.

Philip Newton:
> Given that it's the "opposite" of {puq} "child", I had always assumed
> that it referred to anyone older.

But surely, a {quprIp} is a council not just of elderly people, but of
elderly people who are distinguished in some way.  The word {quprIp} is a
direct translation into Klingon of the Organian "Council of Elders", who
make decisions concerning the governance of Organia.