[Tlhingan-hol] QangHom

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Dec 15 10:06:19 PST 2011

At 09:48 15/12/2011, Steven Boozer wrote:
>Qov:
>
>ghunchu'wI':
> >>Absent context, I'd probably translate it as "Vice Chancellor". I
> >>could also see it as referring to something like Chancellor-elect.
>
>Qov:
> > I can't argue with that and all your similar information. What I need
> > to say is "Member of the Klingon High Council."
> >
> > I can use {tlhIngan yejquv jeSwI'} and the like but I'd really like
> > to have a title, like  "Councillor Foo"
>
>AFAIK, there's no official translation.  (Anything in Monopoly or
>the paq'batlh?)  According to my notes, *{yejquv jeSwI'} has been
>used on the Mailing List before, coined possibly by charghwI'.  Glen
>Proechel preferred *{yejquv 'utlh}.
>
>SkyBox card 25 may be useful:
>
>   juHqo'Daq vaS'a' tu'lu'. ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH
>   pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'.  DaH che' ghawran. yejquv
>   DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
>   pIqarD HoD.

Interesting. It really looks here as though those that sit at the
table and decide policy are all {tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'}. Leaders
of the Empire, as it were. This will work for me, as I can then use
DevwI' as a title, {vu DevwI'} and a short form {DevwI'vaD nob ngeH
HoD} that is clearer than jeSwI'.

>The English is somewhat ambiguous - does Okrand mean the current
>leaders (i.e. all the members) or the past Leaders of the Council
>(i.e. all the past chairmen) - but the Klingon seems a bit clearer.

Yes, the Klingon seems very clear. Successive leaders don't ghom.

>So {DevwI'} may be it, with the chairman being the {DevwI''a'} or
>{DevwI' quv} if you need to distinguish the two.  I'm not sure how
>any Klingon would feel about being called a *{DevwI'Hom}.  <g>

The chairman would be the Qang.  The people at the table are all
leaders in their fields, leaders of the wo', and the Qang is the
leader of the group assembled.

>As for using {-'a'} vs. {quv}, consider:

I hadn't looked at those before as equivalents, but you're right,
they are used very similarly.

> > Sure a member might be {vu Sa'} or {vu Duy'a'} or {vu 'aj} but you
> > see my problem.
>
>I tend to use {qup} "elder" for this (especially for "senator"); cp.
>{quprIp} "Council of Elders".  I don't know if {qup} refers to an
>honored, traditional leader or just someone elderly.  In TOS "Errand
>of Mercy" Kor asked if the Council of Elders was "the ruling
>council" of Organia.  Okrand's use of "elder" in KGT:

qup may be useful, too.  Thanks for the suggestions.

- Qov