[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QoD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 12 06:53:34 PST 2011

>> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, December 11, 2011
>>
>> Klingon word: QoD
>> Part of speech: verb
>> Definition: maneuver (engines)

Qov:
> Does anyone have any idea what an engine manoeuvre is? Theories?

De'vID:
> Maybe the word "(engines)" is just there to indicate that this word
> is not related to {tuH} "maneuver (military term)".  Bracketed words
> in the definitions in TKD often served as disambiguators between the
> multiple possible readings of the English definitions. In other words,
> maybe "(engines)" just means this word is used with vehicles, as
> opposed to (say) armies or fleets or people.

This is the simplest solution.  See his comment on {tuH} in KGT:

KGT 48:  The noun {tuH} refers to a military maneuver of any kind. A specific plan or stratagem usually has a code name ({per yuD} [literally, 'dishonest label']) coined especially for the occasion and not necessarily used again.)

ter'eS:
> It's a theory. It could also refer to using impulse power, for
> example, to maneuver into a spacedock. You as an aircraft pilot
> would not be likely to use anything similar, but I think a
> spaceship in weightlessness behaves more like a ship on water
> than a craft in the air within a gravity well.

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> Keep in mind that spacecraft lack rudders. "Maneuvering thrusters"
> appears in many places in the Star Trek world. {QoDmeH chuyDaH}?

Unfortunately Okrand has never used {QoD}, but I would use it WRT to docking a ship (or parking a car).  WRT aircraft, think about the in-flight refueling of warplanes.  Remember that it is just as tricky to undock and leave a spacedock (or a tight parking space) without hitting any of the smaller craft swarming about.

{vergh} "dock, park" in canon:

  vergh 'ach DIlnISbe'
  Free parking. MKE

  nuqDaq puH Duj vIvergh
  Where can I park the car? (TalkNow!)

Cf. {lolmoH} "maneuver an aircraft to be in some attitude or other":

  qughmeH Duj vIlolmoH
  I put the vessel in the attitude for cruise (or cruising) [HQ 11.2]

Cf. also {ronmoH} "bank, cause to roll (i.e. aircraft)":

  Duj ronmoH 'orwI'
  the pilot banks the vessel (HQ 11.2)

--
Voragh