[Tlhingan-hol] list of inherent plurals

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 12 06:22:15 PST 2011

De'vID:
>> {QaS} (corresponds to no known singular},

QeS:
> Same as {Duj}. I quote again, from KGT this time:

Klingon Monopoly finally provides some examples:

tlhIngan QaS
Klingon Force. MKE

"GO" DajuSDI' cha'vatlh QaS yItlhap
Collect 200 salary as you pass. MKE

wa'vatlh QaS yItlhap
Gain 100 forces. MKE

wa' tlhIngan QaS vey
one pack of Klingon Forces. MKE (i.e. a pack of {QaS} cards)

Quj wa'DIch MONOPOLY Huch nav qa' tlhIngan QaS
Klingon forces replace original MONOPOLY bills. MKE

{QaS DevwI'} "troop commander" - which may have been vetted by Okrand - was used in Keith De Candido's novels (i.e. KRAD: A Good Day to Die et al.):

  Troop commander on a Defense Force vessel, generally in
  charge of several dozen soldiers. Roughly equivalent to a
  Sargent in the modern-day army. First used in _The Brave
  and the Bold, Book 2_."

> "Accordingly, when dealing with a troop member (QaS) or officer (yaS)
> of a ship..." (KGT p.51)
>
> Note the use of "*a* troop member" here, which I think indicates {QaS}
> is perfectly fine to be used as a singular. Perhaps it could also be
> glossed as "enlisted man", as opposed to "officer" ({yaS}).

More quotations by Okrand:

KGT 50:  A ship's full complement of personnel, crew plus officers, is called a {wey}, perhaps best translated as "company". The general word for officer (in addition to the specific term for various ranks) is {yaS}. An individual crew member is a {beq}. ({QaS} ["troops"] applies to nonofficers whether or not assigned to a ship.)

KGT 50:  {mang} is used when the warrior under discussion is described in terms of his membership in a fighting unit (for example, as a crew member on an attack cruiser)... A similar word, {QaS}, normally translated "troops", is used in almost the same way as {negh}, but it excludes officers.

KGT 52:  There are nine ranks of officers ({yaSpu'}) serving under the {la'quv}, and below them are the troops ({QaS}), including some with titles.

KGT 53:  Among the troops ({QaS}), the highest-ranking are given the title {bu'}, traditionally translated as "sergeant", while the next highest have the title {Da'} ("corporal"). No specific titles are used for anyone of lower rank.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons