[Tlhingan-hol] tlhIngan Monopoly vISuq rIntaH!

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Dec 6 19:41:24 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:
> latlh muv yerDaq DaDabchugh, qav'ap DaDIl net poQ. (jIqawHa'be'chugh)

mu'tlheghHom wa'DIch vIyajbe'. <nuv> DaghItlhHa''a'?

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM, André Müller <esperantist at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...some of us.INCL keep words that are imagined plausible translation of words
> distinct from words that are found in the dictionaries or can be seen in the
> English versions of canoncial phrases.

In the case of {ngIp}, I think you're making a mistake by calling
"hire" a plausible translation of the word. The concept of "hire a
car" can be approximated as "borrow a land vehicle", and that recast
phrase can be translated into Klingon, but it doesn't mean that the
Klingon word for "borrow" also means "hire". I believe that putting
such speculative meanings in your lexicon invites misuse. I can
imagine someone trying to justify speaking of "borrowing" a
housekeeper based on the mistaken idea that {ngIp} includes the idea
of paying for something.

-- ghunchu'wI'