[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghargh

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:39:16 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 17:53, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
>> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, December 06, 2011
>>
>> Klingon word: ghargh
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition: serpent worm
>
> I don't have my copy of TKD handy to verify against, but I'm certain
> its lexicon says "serpent, worm". It isn't a variety of worm; it's two
> different English words that can both serve as a translation for the
> Klingon.
>
> On the other hand, {qagh} is "serpent worms (as food)".

Indeed. And the distinction caused me to botch a question on a recent
KLCP test. (Since I had understood the words such that {qagh} refers
to a particular dish, rather than to serpent worm used as food, which
can make up the dish, and so I had wrongly used {ghargh}.)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>