[Tlhingan-hol] how to use {nej}?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 5 07:33:23 PST 2011

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> How would I say, "Search for the targ in the forest", or "Search for
> the record in the data banks"?  I presume the thing being searched for
> ({targh}, {ta}) is the object of {nej}, but how do I indicate the
> parameters of/restrictions on the search ({ngem}, {qawHaq})?

QeS 'utlh::
>Do you have a specific issue with {ngemDaq targh yInej} or {qawHaqDaq
>ta yInej}?

Gaerfindel:
>>My instinct is to go with {ngem yInej} for "Search (in) the forest,"
>>and {qawHaq nej} for "Search (in) the database."  "Search the catalogue
>>for the book," I'd render {mem yInej 'ej paq botu'}.

Qov:
>How then would you distinguish between "Search in the forest" and "Search for the forest"?
>
>I want the object of nej to always be the thing searched for, and have no problem with >specifying the search location (with -Daq) and omitting the search target.

lugh Qov QeS je.  {ngemDaq yInej} "search (in) the forest!" (e.g. someone is hiding in the forest) vs. {ngem yInej} "search for the forest" (e.g. Where the hell is it?! It's supposed to be around here somewhere!  Does anybody have a map?)

Although it's never been used with a place stamp, in canon {nej} "look for, seek, search for" always has an object, either explicit or implied:

  qanej
  I look for you. KLS

  vInejqa'
  I am resuming the search.
  I am searching for him/her again. TKD

  jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH
  They are searching for the enemy in order to kill him.
  In order to kill the enemy, they are searching for the enemy. TKD

  'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej
  When an escaped prisoner looks for a guard, he always finds one. TKW

Qov:
>On a related topic, I came to the chapter in my story where a character gets searched by a >security guard on the very same day that I was searched at a TSA checkpoint. I promise the >story was planned for longer than the vacation. (Yeah, welcome to my life).
>
>nej is to search for something, so I rejected {vInejlu'} and {munej Hung yaS}.
>
>I used constructions like {jIHDaq nuHmey nej Hung} and {porghwIjDaq nejqu' yaS}, but I'm okay >with {nejwI'} and {nejwI' jan}. I think I used {woj nejwI'} in a recent posting, which could >probably be better interpreted as a Geiger counter, but I expect in context it was understood >as shorthand for a {woj lo'bogh nuH nejwI'}.

As for "search/frisk (a person)" {jIHDaq nuHmey nej Hung} or {porghwIjDaq nejqu' yaS} certainly fit in with what I said above, but they're a bit wordy.  How about {nuD} "examine" (which has the virtue of never being used in canon): {munuD Hung yaS}?

(BTW, is there a word for "airport" in the TalkNow! program?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

"Klingons don't allow themselves to be probed."
 [Worf, TNG "Violations"]