[Tlhingan-hol] how to use {nej}?

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Dec 4 08:56:50 PST 2011

On a related topic, I came to the chapter in my story where a
character gets searched by a security guard on the very same day that
I was searched at a TSA checkpoint. I promise the story was planned
for longer than the vacation. (Yeah, welcome to my life).

nej is to search for something, so I rejected {vInejlu'} and {munej Hung yaS}.

I used constructions like {jIHDaq nuHmey nej Hung} and {porghwIjDaq
nejqu' yaS}, but I'm okay with {nejwI'} and {nejwI' jan}. I think I
used {woj nejwI'} in a recent posting, which could probably be better
interpreted as a Geiger counter, but I expect in context it was
understood as shorthand for a {woj lo'bogh nuH nejwI'}.

I used to be very careful with -Daq always being an extremely
physical location, but I keep being reminded of canon that doesn't,
so I've become a little freer with it. Remember that TKD was written
to rein in those who would translate ANY locative English pronoun with -Daq.

wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap